A Registered Veterinary Technologist/Technician (RVT) is a person who has successfully graduated from an accredited  Animal Health Technology/Technician, Veterinary Technician/Technologist college program, has completed the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) and has met all the requirements identified by their provincial or state association. The term Technician vs. Technologist is used interchangeably with no acknowledged difference other than geographical preference ( i.e. western provinces = technologists, eastern provinces = technician).

In Canada, Animal Health Technology/Technician, Veterinary Technician/Technologist college programs are accredited by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA), and in Ontario by the Ontario Association of Veterinary Technicians (OAVT).

For more information on the specific requirements for provincial registration, check out the following links:

RVTTC does not govern or register/license technicians. In Canada, legislative authority to regulate the practice of professions and trades is a provincial responsibility.

Each provincial association regulates its own membership and is compulsory in some provinces. Every provincial association uses a standardized national exam — the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) — and requires graduation from an approved program that trains technicians as part of the registration criteria. Please contact the individual Provincial RVT/VT Associations to inquire if they recognize foreign DVM diplomas. The Canadian Information Center for International Credentials contains additional information.

The RVT in Canada is to be up to date on many tasks. Anesthesia, radiology, laboratory, pharmacy technology are examples of the many duties that require adaptation and change as technology advances are made. RVTs that work in the field of laboratory medicine attend the same program as clinical technicians. RVTs are employable in many different areas, veterinary clinics, zoos, feedlots, laboratories etc.

For information on how to pursue a career as a DVM, please contact the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA) ( regarding the National Examining Board (NEB) Examination.